This protein packed combination stir-fry works well as both a main dish or side dish with the accompaniment of steamed rice. You can opt for a purely vegetarian version by omitting the chicken but I've reconstructed the dish by what I had in a restaurant not too long ago.
Black beans are the main flavor component with a touch of heat from chili garlic sauce. You can find these at your local Asian grocery store or online. I use the Lee Kum Kee brand for both. Be sure to get firm tofu as it holds up to deep-frying really well and crispy tofu is freaking delicious.
If you've been following me, you'll know deep-frying firm tofu is my go-to method for bringing tofu dishes to the table such as Stir-Fry Tofu, Hot Plate Tofu and one of my favorites: Creamy Butter Tofu. Of course there are other ways to enjoy tofu and a wide variety of them but I just haven't gotten around to experimenting with them yet.
While most people associate tofu as an entree or side dish, tofu can also be enjoyed as a dessert. Warm soft tofu swimming in a decadent sugary syrup, also known as Tau Fu Fa was a favorite of mine from food trucks in the city.
- 1 package firm tofu (14 oz.), cut into triangles
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 cup straw/button/shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup baby corn
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon thick soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pepper to taste
- Over medium high heat, deep-fry tofu until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside
- In a separate pan over medium high heat, saute garlic and ginger until fragrant
- Add chili sauce and black bean sauce and stir to mix for 1 minute
- Add in chicken slices and combine thoroughly. Cook for 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Add thick soy sauce, sugar and pepper to taste
- Toss in tofu and vegetables, mixing well
- Stir-fry for another 3 minutes
- Add in green onions and toss to mix for 1 minute
- Remove from heat and pour in sesame oil, stirring well
- Dish and serve hot