Carrots are one of the vegetables that are often overlooked. Sure you see it plenty enough as low calorie snacks, in mixed vegetable dishes, in stews and pot roasts and the occasional carrot souffle during Thanksgiving. But rarely do you see them showcased on their own, aside from the popular way of cooking them in butter and brown sugar. Carrots by themselves can be rather boring.
That was until I came across this recipe and I was pleasantly surprised by how the addition of a single ingredient completely changed the taste; five spice powder.
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- Over medium high heat, melt butter in pan and saute carrots
- Add five spice powder and stir to combine
- Pour in water, soy sauce and sugar and bring to a boil
- Lower heat to medium low and cover, simmering until carrots are tender
- Dish and serve hot